The history of this historic cathedral with her towering dual steeples (clearly visible from many quadrants within the historic district) could fill a book. We recommend that church architecture aficionados view the inner sanctum while visiting the historic district, The existing church today was designed and built by Francis Baldwin circa 1873 and dedicated in 1876. It is a fine example of the French-Gothic architectural design for churches. However, the original cathedral was destroyed by fire in 1898 and rebuilt.
Location: 222 E. Harris Street
Phone: (912) 233-4709
The Telfair Museum of Art opened a new 64,000-sq. ft., state-of-the-art building to the public in March 2006, ushering in an exciting new era for the "oldest public art museum in the South". The new building, the Jepson Center for the Arts, is the first expansion in the Telfair's 119-year history. Architect Moshe Safdie Designed The Jepson Center as a "Destination of Distinction" in Savannah's Historic District.
Location: Telfair Square
The Lowcountry Estuarium promotes conservation and preservation of the Lowcountry's marshes, creeks, rivers, and sounds by providing educational and recreational experiences to residents and visitors. The Lowcountry Estuarium Board formed in the summer of 2000. A few Beaufortonians met and shared their common interest of having an Aquarium in Beaufort that was large enough to accommodate multiple groups of school children and visitors to the Lowcountry, at one time.
Location: 1402 Paris Avenue, Port Royal, SC
Phone: (843) 524-6600
Ebenezer ALIVE! is offered from September through May, with school groups choosing either a Monday through Wednesday or Wednesday through Friday timeframe for the 48-hour-long course, with beginning and ending sessions at midday lunch. Each attending group will supply funding, reservations, and transportation. While program facilitators guide learners through activities in the setting, participation and supervision from parent volunteers and regular classroom teachers is required.
Location: 2887 Ebenezer Road, Rincon, GA
Phone: (912) 754-9242
Oatland Island Education Center is a unit of the Savannah-Chatham County Public Schools, and the premier environmental education center in the southeast. Located just east of Savannah on a marsh island, the Center features a 2 mile "Native Animal Nature Trail" that winds through maritime forest, salt marsh, and freshwater wetlands. Visitors can observe native animals such as Florida panthers, Eastern timber wolves, alligators, and many more in their natural habitat.
Location: 711 Sandtown Road
Phone: (912) 898-3980
Built in 1848 for cotton merchant Andrew Low. The classically designed Andrew Low House sits on the southwest trust lot on Lafayette Square, former site of the old jail. In 1847, the wealthy cotton factor Andrew Low chose John Norris to design a house on the lot for his family. Norris was an architect whom the historic Savannah's leading citizens turned to for the design of their residences and business establishments. Architects William Jay, Charles B. Cluskey, and Norris formed a triumvirate of distinguished architects that designed the magnificent homes for well to do 19th century Savannahians that tourists from all over the world come to visit today.
Location: 329 Abercorn Street
Phone: (912) 233-6854
Located on the southern edge of Savannah's historic district, the Armstrong Mansion was the last of the great homes that had been built in the downtown area. It stood at the head of Bull Street, between the historic squares of downtown Savannah to the north and the green expanse of Forsyth Park to the south. Located at the corner of Bull and Gaston Streets.
Battlefield Park commemorates the area where General Casimir Pulaski and American patriot, Sergeant William Jasper both fell in battle while assaulting British Defenses not far from this monument located on Martin Luther King Blvd. Hard fought skirmishes ranged over this hallowed ground, fought by the soldiers of America and of France against the British. The battle was fought on October 9, 1779, one of the bloodiest battles of the Revolution when Savannah, which had been in British possession for several months, was attacked by the combined American and French forces.
Location: MLK Boulevard
The Beach Institute was established in 1865 by the Freedmen's Bureau and funded by the American Missionary Association to educate newly freed African-Americans in Savannah. It was named in honor of the editor of the Scientific American, Alfred S. Beach for his philanthropic contributions to the site. Today, it is a place to exhibit arts and crafts that have an African-American focus.
Location: 502 E. Harris Street
Phone: (912) 234-8000
Calhoun Square was laid out in 1851, one of the latter squares in the historic district to be built. This shady square was named for the South Carolina statesman and southern-rights firebrand John C. Calhoun. Located across from the square is Wesley Monumental United Methodist Church, whose congregation organized in 1875.
Chatham County Courthouse
In 1764, Peter Tondee and Joseph Dunlap were commissioned to build the colonial courthouse in Savannah. The courthouse was finally completed in 1773. At the onset of the American Revolution, the loyalists had to abandon the courthouse which became the first courthouse for Chatham County. In the fall of 1830, the old brick courthouse was torn down and a new building was begun on this site. The new building was completed in May of 1832. The existing courthouse was built in the 1970's.
Location: 133 Montgomery Street
Phone: (912) 652-7175
Chatham Square is the western most square on the last line of squares in the historic district. This lovely garden square surrounded by Victorian era townhouses and Savannah College of Art and Design (Barnard Street School) was built in 1847. In 1851 Chatham Square was named in honor of William Pitt, The Earl of Chatham. The county that Savannah resides in, Chatham County, also shares the same name as Chatham Square.
Chippewa Square was so named to honor the distant Canadian battlefield where Americans fought against the British in 1814 during the War of 1812. A handsome bronze figure by Daniel Chester French, the sculptor of the Lincoln Memorial, immortalizes General James Edward Oglethorpe, who looms over the square.
When the city of Savannah was first laid out, the present site, on Johnson square was designated for a church. Oglethorpe had been instructed by the Governors to "lay out a site for the church," with a parsonage lot and a "burying ground" as well as a church. In 1758, the cemetery now known as Colonial Park Cemetery was vested in Christ Church and remained in use until 1853. It was transferred to the city in 1895. Methodist Founder and famed early Savannahian, Reverend John Wesley assumed charge of this congregation in 1736 while living here.
Location: 28 Bull Street
Phone: (912) 232-4131
The City Hall of Savannah is one of the more magnificent structures in Savannah. It is located on Yamacraw Bluff at the Savannah River. The current building demonstrates a Renaissance Revival style and was designed and built by local architect Hyman Wallace Witcover in 1901. The original cost estimate of $205,167 included ornate statues of chariots and horses atop the structure. This structure replicated the old City Exchange (built circa 1799) building which had housed City government for many years.
Location: Bull and Bay Streets
The face of Savannah's historic City Market has seen many changes over the years. It all began in 1755, when farmers and fishermen brought to market such wares as scuppernongs, pigeon peas and fresh seafood of every description. The first two Market buildings were destroyed by fire in 1788 and 1820. A third was torn down after being used as a dressing station during the Siege of Savannah in the Civil War. Space was at a premium in the 1950's and developers removed the market and built a parking lot amid much outcry with history lovers.
Phone: (912) 232-4903
The Cockspur Beacon sits on an islet off the southeastern tip of Cockspur Island and marks the South Channel of the Savannah River. The site is about twelve miles east of the port of Savannah. The islet, covered by high tide, is comprised of oyster shells, and marsh grass. Construction: Documented references suggest the first brick tower, used as a daymark, was built on Cockspur Island between March 1837 and November 1839. August 9, 1848, John Norris, a New York architect, was contracted to supervise construction of an illuminated station. The noted architect designed many of Savannah's grand structures.
A veritable treasure trove of history, Colonial Park Cemetery is a major tourist attraction for our history seeking travelers to one of the favorite attractions within the district. This cemetery, the second in colonial Savannah, was the burying ground for the city from about 1750 until it was closed against burials in 1853. There are many walking tours to be had through this cemetery or you can direct your own self guided tour among the historic tombs. In addition to many of the losing duelists who fought their duels just outside the southwest wall of the cemetery that are buried here, the final resting place of many distinguished colonial era Savannahians can be found on these grounds.
Columbia Square features the "Wormsloe Fountain," added to the square in 1970 to honor the DeRenne family. Items of interest on this square include the Davenport House, saved in 1955 when seven local women started a movement that later became the Historic Savannah Foundation. This was Savannah's eastern limit when the city was walled between 1757 and 1790.
The Comer House with its striking burnt sienna stucco-over-brick overlay stands on the northeast corner of Bull and Taylor streets. The residence (built about 1880) was at that time the home of Hugh M. Comer, President of the Central of Georgia Railway. Jefferson Davis the former President of the Confederate States of America was a guest in this recently completed Italianate home in that era.
Location: 414 Bull Street
The Confederate Monument is located in the very center of Forsyth Park at the intersection of Bull and Gwinnett Streets, having been placed there in 1879. This monument was designed by Robert Reid and depicts a military figure of the Civil War era. Although the lone figure of a proud yet beaten soldier stands atop this monument, it is truly a memorial to the hundreds of thousands of soldiers who gave their lives for the cause of the Confederate States.
The Congregation Mickve Israel Synagogue was founded by 42 Jewish settlers who arrived in Savannah, in the new colony of Georgia, on July 11, 1733. In 1790 the congregation was granted a Charter from the state of Georgia, confirming the legal status of the third oldest Jewish congregation in the United States.
Location: Intersection of Bull Street, Wayne Street, and Taylor Street
Phone: (912) 233-1547
The Savannah Cotton Exchange building was completed in 1887 during the era when Savannah ranked first as a cotton seaport on the Atlantic and second in the world. The Cotton Exchange was at the very heart of activity with this staple which dominated this city's economic life before its evolution into a leading industrial seaport. The Exchange was designed by the nationally-known Boston architect, William Gibbons Preston. His design won out in a competition participated in by eleven architects. The Old Cotton Exchange is believed to be one of the few structures in the world erected over an existing public street.
Crawford Square is located on Houston Street between Perry and Hull Streets. This square was laid out in the 1840s and named to honor William Harris Crawford who was Secretary of the Treasury under President Madison and once thought to be a prime contender for President of the United States but unfortunately finished third in the Presidential election of 1824 behind Andrew Jackson and the winner John Quincy Adams.
The original Ellis square was replaced by a parking deck in 1954 after much resistance that lead to the formation of the Historic Savannah Foundation, an important steering committee that oversees all historic district renovations for period correct construction. The 50 year lease of the parking lot expired in 2004 and plans to reincarnate Ellis Square are underway now that parking garage was torn down in late 2005.
Visit Lady Luck in person aboard the Emerald Princess Dinner and Casino Cruise Ship! Enjoy day and evening cruises while savoring delicious dinners and brunches prepared fresh daily. Let the action ride and play quality gaming action in the southeast. Roulette, Blackjack, Caribbean Stud Poker, Craps and Slots!! You get all this along with live entertainment aboard every cruise!
Location: 1 Gisco Point Drive, Brunswick, GA
Phone: (800) 842-0115
This lush green way bordering East Bay Street is home to beautiful, tree-shaded Emmett Park named for Irish patriot and orator Robert Emmet. Underneath the Spanish moss draped live oaks are several points of interest in this park including a Vietnam Veterans Memorial and fountain as well as a historic Harbor Light (1858), a gas-powered light erected as a navigational aid to vessels in the Savannah River. The light stands 77 feet above the river and helped ships avoid the hulls of ships scuttled by British forces during the siege of 1779 in an effort to prevent French warships from using the harbor. Other historic artifacts including cannons, sailing vessel anchors, and assorted monuments designating other historic events in Coastal Georgia's colonial past can be viewed here as well.
This historic church is listed in the National Register of Historic places and was important even before the American Revolution. Organized by George Leile in 1773, it was the first black church in what would shortly become the United States. The church is also home to a museum that contains items from the church's beginning in 1773. Included in the museum are written records dating from the 1800's, pictures of the seventeen pastors, newspaper articles from 1861, communion sets from 1814, and many other items of historic interest - a must visit for those with an interest in historic religious research in pre-revolutionary war colonial America.
Location: 23 Montgomery Street
Phone: (912) 233-6597
The First Baptist Church of Savannah, Georgia, was chartered on November 26, 1800, and soon thereafter the first meeting house was built on Franklin Square. The cornerstone of the present church on Chippewa Square was laid on February 2, 1831, and the building was completed in 1833. This Greek Revival structure is Savannah's oldest house of worship. The sanctuary was enlarged in 1839, improved from time to time, and completely renovated in 1921. The most recent renovations were in 1966, 1989-1990, and 1998-1999, respectively.
Location: 223 Bull Street
Phone: (912) 234-2671
First City Club
Welcome to the First City Club! Nestled among the tops of the majestic live oaks in Johnson Square. First City Club is located in the heart of historic downtown Savannah, Georgia. Savannah is a gracious hostess city, offering her guests and residents the charm of the old South with the modern conveniences of the new millennium. We truly have the best of both worlds! The Club itself epitomizes the charm, elegance and sophistication of the South, complete with southern hospitality-style service. The Member is King at First City Club, and all who enter our doors are considered Members. The Club offers both holiday parties and special Member events.
Location: 32 Bull Street
Phone: (912) 238-4548
Forsyth Park (originally named Forsyth Place) is a compelling and vital part of Savannah's historic district anchoring the southern most point in the historic district. This twenty nine acre park was the first large park created in Savannah, other than the squares, designed as part of the city plan by General Oglethorpe in the eighteenth century.
The defining events of Fort Pulaski occurred during the American Civil War. In April of 1862, Union troops directed rifled cannon fire at the fort breaching the southeast angle. The quick success of this experimental cannon surprised military strategists. The park area encompassing Fort Pulaski includes scenic marsh and uplands that support a variety of animal life characteristic of southern barrier islands.
Location: Highway 80
The wall remnants of Fort Wayne can be seen today alongside Emmett Park facing east and again across Bay and Broad Streets that is the modern Day Trustees Garden complex built on a bluff that overlooks the Savannah River across Bay Street/General McIntosh Boulevard. The fort was built in 1759 and was later named after General "Mad Anthony" Wayne and was initially placed in the northeast part of Savannah to protect Georgia from the Spanish in Florida.
Location: E. Bay Street
Fountain in Forsyth Park
The Fountain in Forsyth Park was created in 1858 and very similar to another fountain from the same era located in Cuzco, Peru. The Fountain area is dominated by the large, ornate, two-tiered cast-iron fountain surmounted by a classically robed female figure standing in amidst the round basin area and holding a rod. This massive main fountain was completely restored in 1988 with at least a quarter of it having to be recast.
Franklin Square was laid out in 1790 and named for Benjamin Franklin, Philadelphia born and bred American statesman who served as agent for the Colony of Georgia from 1768 to 1775. This is the northwestern most situated historic district square of 23 garden squares in the historic district located between the western most border of City Market and the First African Baptist Church.
Chartered by the Georgia General Assembly in 1839, located in Hodgson Hall, the Georgia Historical Society is a non-profit society that serves as the historical society for the people of Georgia. Headquartered in Savannah, Georgia's first city, the Society is the oldest cultural institution in the state and one of the oldest historical organizations in the nation.
Location: 501 Whitaker Street
Phone: (912) 651-2125
The Green-Meldrim house was designed and built by John Norris for Charles Green in the early 1850s. In the soon to follow War Between the States, the house was occupied by Union General William T. Sherman after his march to the sea. This was when Sherman sent his telegram to President Lincoln in December, 1864 saying, "I beg to present you as a Christmas gift the city of Savannah..." The house, one of the finest examples of Gothic Revival architecture in the South, was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1976 and is now used as the parish house of St. John's Episcopal Church.
Location: 14 W. Macon Street
Phone: (912) 233-3845
Greene Square was named for General Nathaniel Greene, who served in the American Revolution. An aide to General Washington, he was a resident of Savannah and had a plantation at Mulberry Grove. He died there of sunstroke at age 44. In the same location, Eli Whitney and Greene's wife invented the cotton gin.
Gryphon Tea Room
The Gryphon Tea Room is housed in an adapted turn of the century pharmacy. This structure was originally built from 1913 - 1926 and currently serves tea, coffee, sodas, and light meals. Now owned and operated by Savannah College of Art and Design, SCAD students, as well as locals and tourists, relax in the strategically positioned historic district tea room while admiring the antique furnishings. Fourteen original stained glass windows with a mortar and pestle motif convey the original purpose of the shop in an ambience laden setting in what could arguably be called the heart of the historic district from a tourist attraction standpoint.
Location: 337 Bull Street
Phone: (912) 525-5880
A fine example of Second French Empire construction, the home was designed and built in 1873 by J.D. Hall for Samuel Pugh Hamilton, former banker, mayor and entrepreneur. It is decorated with original period furnishings. Some believe that the house is inhabited by friendly ghosts, and it's rumored that it was the model for Disney's "Haunted Mansion" attraction. The house is today an elegant historic inn. After Hamilton's tenure, a former mayor of the city, the Turner - Hamilton Mansion eventually passed into the hands of Joe Odom, the cheerful rapscallion who is one of the central figures in John Berendt's "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil."
Location: 330 Abercorn Street
Phone: (912) 233-1833
Historic Ogeechee Barge Canal
The Historic Ogeechee Barge Canal begins with the tidal lock at the Savannah River and continues through four lift locks as it traverses 16 1/2 miles before reaching another tidal lock at the Ogeechee River. Along the way, the canal passed through Savannah's 19th century industrial corridor, former rice fields, timber tracts and a lush tidal river swamp. The canal hosted mule pulled barges used to bring supplies from The Savannah River to The Ogeechee River and back.
Location: 681 Fort Argyle Road
Phone: (912) 748-8068
Historic Railroad Shop
The Historic Railroad Shops in Savannah is the oldest and most complete antebellum (pre-civil war) railroad manufacturing and repair facilities still in existence in the United States. As such, the site was designated as a National Historic Landmark. The location on which the complex was built was originally part of a battle field site in the American Revolution that determined which side would hold the City of Savannah during that conflict. The Central of Georgia Railway built the repair shops and utilized them for over 100 years.
Location: 601 W. Harris Street
Phone: (912) 651-6823
Across Whitaker Street from Forsyth Park, Hodgson Hall was built in 1875. The Italianate-Greek Revival building is open to the public. Hodgson Hall is a treasure trove of manuscripts, records, and artifacts relating to Savannah and Georgia's history and houses the Georgia Historical Society historical collections and administrative offices as well.
Location: 501 Whitaker Street
Phone: (912) 651-2128
A favorite tour for anyone who loves Savannah's historic homes as this museum is high on their must see list. Threatened with demolition in the 1950s, this classic Federal-style home became a catalyst for the formation of the Historic Savannah Foundation, a group of seven influential women who were determined to save this historic home. They were able to stop the wrecker's hand less than 24 hours before demolition was to begin. Built in 1820, this fine home features Hepplewhite, Chippendale, and Sheraton furnishings.
Location: 324 E. State Street
Phone: (912) 236-8097
John Wesley Monument
On the "trust lot" South of President Street and immediately west of Wright Square stood in 1736-37 the parsonage in which John Wesley, founder of Methodism, resided. In the adjoining garden he read, prayed and meditated. Weekly meetings of the members of his Christ Church congregation were held in the small wooden dwelling. According to Wesley, "The first rise of Methodism was in 1729 when four of us met together at Oxford. The second was at Savannah in 1736 when twenty or thirty persons met at my house." The monument located in Reynolds Square was dedicated in 1969.
Citizens of Savannah have come to refer to Johnson Square as the "banking square" due to the many banks that surround this square, making it a major bustling destination for historic district businesses. This square is named for Governor Robert Johnson of South Carolina who befriended the colonists when Georgia was first settled. It was laid out by Gen. Oglethorpe and by Colonel William Bull in 1733, and was the very first of Savannah's squares.
Juliette Gordon Low, founder of the Girl Scouts of the United States of America, was born in this house in 1860. It was her girlhood home until her marriage there in 1886 to William Low, an Englishman, then residing in Savannah. As a friend of Lord Baden-Powell, founder of the Scout movement, Juliette Low became active in Girl Guide work in both England and Scotland in 1911. It was at his suggestion that she started Girl Scouting in America. This house was originally owned by James M. Wayne, one of Georgia's most illustrious public men.
Location: 142 Bull Street
Phone: (912) 233-4501
This important museum currently serves as an African American culture and history museum and features art objects, documents and furniture appropriate to the 1890's. The King-Tisdell mission statement from their web site reads in part "to research, collect, interpret and present African American history and culture through exhibits, art, films, lectures, oral history, tours and publications.
Location: 514 E. Huntingdon Street
Phone: (912) 234-8000
The Lady and Sons restaurant had its beginnings back in June 1989 when Paula Deen started The Bag Lady out of her home. Soon Paula started a full service restaurant that has been housed in a few different landmark historic district locations. Her patrons that have followed the Lady to all of her downtown locations have been rewarded with excellent cooking. And new fans eventually starting coming as well after the publication of Paula's first two cookbooks and her successful appearance on her own cooking show on The Food Network. With her latest move in 2003, The Lady and Sons went from 85 seats to nearly 330 seats in the new location at 102 W Congress St.
Location: 102 W. Congress Street
Phone: (912) 233-2600
Lafayette square, located on Abercorn Street between Charlton and Harris Streets was laid out in 1837. Until 1846, the City jail was located here; but when it was moved, Andrew Low purchased some of the land and built in 1849 what we now refer to as the Andrew Low House.
Landing of James Edward Oglethorpe
The original founding father of Georgia, James Oglethorpe, landed with the original 114 colonists at the foot of this bluff on February 1, 1733. The site where he pitched his tent is marked by the stone bench located about 100 feet west of this marker. Savannah's unique old English township city plan was envisioned and implemented under Oglethorpe's guidance. City squares laid out in warrens have made Savannah's internationally known historic district one of the top walking cities in the United States and is noted as one of the largest designated historic districts in the U.S.
The Lucas Theater for the Arts has been lovingly restored to it's original luster and charm thanks to the efforts of many. The Lucas hosts dramatic, symphonic, musical and ballet productions to name just a few. After opening, The Lucas also provides a venue for the City Lights Theater (previously located just around the corner on Broughton St.) to present the various performances that it sponsors throughout the year as well. The Lucas, originally built in 1921 as a beautiful Movie Palace also continues to serve it's original purpose.
Location: 32 Abercorn Street
Phone: (912) 232-3500
Madison Square was laid out in 1839 and is named for the fourth president of the United States. Around the Square stand notable examples of the Greek revival, Gothic, and Romanesque architecture characteristic of nineteenth century Savannah. The central bronze monument in the center of Madison Square commemorates the heroism of Sergeant William Jasper (2nd Continental Regt. of South Carolina) who was mortally wounded in the Siege of Savannah.
In 1841 Peter Massie, a Scottish planter in Glynn County, Georgia bequeathed a sum of $5,000 to educate the poor children of Savannah. His donation was invested until it accumulated enough money to build a school.
Location: 207 E. Gordon Street
Phone: (912) 201-5070
The Mercer Williams House was originally built in the 1860's and stands at the west end of Monterey Square. The Mercer Williams House is arguably one of Savannah's grandest homes and certainly the most photographed historic home in the district due to the famous names that have been attached to this home since it was built in the 1800's.
Location: 429 Bull Street (enter through 430 Whitaker Street entrance)
Phone: (912) 236-6352
On January 28, 1942, fifty-three days after the infamous attack on Pearl Harbor, the 8th Air Force was officially activated in the National Guard Armory on Bull Street in Savannah, Georgia. In 1983, Major General Lewis E. Lyle, USAF Retired, a B-17 veteran of 70 combat missions during World War II, began planning a museum along with other veterans. In May of 1996, to the applause of 5,000 8th Air Force veterans, their families, dignitaries, and supporters, the vision became a reality with the dedication of the new museum.
Phone: (812) 748-8888
Monterey Square, characterized in John Behrendt's best selling book that was also made into the popular movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" as one of Savannah's most beautiful squares, was laid out in 1847. It defines pre Civil War America as it memorializes America's 1846 capture of Monterey, Mexico by Gen. Zachary Taylor's American forces.
Monument to Chief Tomo-Chi-Chi
Tomo-Chi-Chi, Mico of the Yamacraws Tribe of the Creek Indian Nation is buried in Wright Square. He has been called a cofounder along with Oglethorpe of Georgia. He was a good friend of the English, a friendship indispensable to the establishment of the Colony as a military outpost against Spanish invasion. He negotiated with Oglethorpe the treaty that was formally ratified in 1733 pursuant to which Georgia was settled. Mary Musgrove, half-breed niece of Emperor Grim of the Creek Indians, acted as interpreter between Oglethorpe and Tomo-Chi-Chi and lent her great influence to the signing of that treaty and to additional treaties negotiated by Oglethorpe with other tribes of the Creek Nation. His Monument Rock can be viewed on Wright Square.
The Oglethorpe Club is an exclusive private club located in the prior home that British Consul to Savannah, Edmund Molyneux had built in 1857. This home served as his residence and as the Consulate until Molyneux's return to England in 1863. The mansion was purchased from the Molyneux family in 1885 by Gen. Henry R. Jackson and was the home of that illustrious gentleman until his death in 1898.
Location: 450 Bull Street
Phone: (912) 232-7193
The monument in this square to James Edward Oglethorpe-the great soldier-philanthropist who founded the colony of Georgia-was erected by the State of Georgia, the City of Savannah, and various Patriotic Societies amid much pomp and ceremony in 1910. This nine foot bronze statue of Oglethorpe is the work of one of America's foremost sculptors, the celebrated Daniel Chester French. This monument is located on Chippewa Square in Savannah's Landmark Historic District.
The historic half mile speedway located just a few miles from downtown Savannah, Georgia, Oglethorpe Speedway Park has initiated an on line ticketing option for race fans wishing to attend events. Ticket purchasers can now log on to the speedway website below to purchase tickets for the weekly NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series events, AMA Championship Motorcycle Racing, the 9th Annual Showdown and other events on the speedway calendar. Patrons can now bring their on line printed ticket and go immediately to the gate where it will be scanned for admission into the event.
Location: 200 Jessup Road
Phone: (912) 964-7223
Oglethorpe Square is situated on Abercorn St. between State St. and York St. It was originally laid out in 1742 and honors General Oglethorpe, the founder of historic Savannah. Overlooking this square is the Owens -Thomas House, designed by William Jay and built 1816-1819. This lovely house is considered one of the finest examples of English Regency Architecture in America.
Old Harbor Light
This beacon light was erected by the federal government in 1858 as an aid to navigation of the Savannah River. Standing 77 feet above river level and illuminated by gas, it served for several years as a guide to vessels passing over the hulls of ships that the British scuttled in 1779 in an attempt to deny harbor access to the French naval forces, anchored nearby. During the Siege of Savannah that year by both the French and Colonial Forces, the warship Truite, commanded by the Count de Chastenet de Puysegur, shelled this area of Savannah from her anchorage in Back River opposite this point.
Orleans Square was named for the 1815 victory of General Andrew Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans, during the War of 1812. The fountain that is in the center of the square was given in 1989 by Savannah's German heritage organizations, one of the many ethnically diversified groups that call Savannah home.
The Telfair Owens-Thomas House was designed by architect William Jay at the young age of 24. The stylish residence was built from 1816 to 1819 for cotton merchant Richard Richardson and his wife Francis Bolton, the sister-in-law of William Jay. Unfortunately the Richardson's soon lost their house in the financial depression of 1820. During the next decade the House served as an elegant boarding house. In 1825 the Revolutionary War hero, the Marquis de Lafayette, was a guest at this fine home.
Location: 124 Abercorn Street
Phone: (912) 233-9743
The Pulaski monument was erected in Monterey Square to the memory of General Casimir Pulaski, the great Polish Patriot, who fell at Savannah in the cause of American Independence. General Pulaski was mortally wounded on the 9th of October 1779 while fighting with the Pulaski Legion in the Siege of Savannah less than a quarter mile from where this 55 ft. monument now stands. Located on Monterey Square in Savannah's historic district.
Pulaski Square is located on Barnard Street between Harris and Charlton Streets and was laid out in 1837. This square was named for Count Casimir Pulaski, historic Savannah's adopted foreign son who was the highest ranking foreign officer to die in the American Revolution.
This square flanked by several renowned Bed and Breakfast establishments as well as being in close proximity to the Pink House Restaurant was originally called Lower New Square. This square was home to the Filature, where silk was woven from silkworm cocoons during the colony's failed experiment to establish the silk industry in Georgia. The square is named for Captain John Reynolds, governor of Georgia in 1754.
Ten seasons ago Savannah revealed its painful little secret to the rest of baseball and the nation. Today, that secret, the nearly invisible biting Sand Gnat, is one of the most popular nicknames in minor league baseball. The successful teams and players that have worn the Sand Gnats jersey over the past decade are about as hard to ignore as a million itchy red dots on your forearm. While the lifespan of most sand gnats is five to ten days, these Sand Gnats should be around for years to come.
Location: 1401 E. Victory Drive
Phone: (912) 351-9150
Savannah's cultural and activity center is the Savannah Civic Center Arena and the Johnny Mercer Theatre. The arena contains seating for 9,600 and is host to concerts, graduations, conventions, shows, circuses, and ice skating. The adjoining Johnny Mercer Theatre is an intimate venue that seats 2,566 and is the home of the Savannah Symphony Orchestra. It hosts a number of productions, including plays and symphony orchestra concerts.
Location: 301 W. Oglethorpe Street
Phone: (912) 651-6556
The Savannah History Museum is housed in the old Central of Georgia Railway passenger shed, a National Historic Landmark built in the 1850?s. The railway used the building until 1972. In 1984, The Great Savannah Exposition opened in the building. The Coastal Heritage Society took over operation of the successor to the Exposition, the Savannah History Museum, in 1990. The museum is now home to more than 10,000 artifacts. The Savannah History Museum showcases the city's history from its founding in 1733 to the present day.
Location: 303 Martin Luther King Boulevard
Phone: (912) 651-6825
The Savannah International Trade & Convention Center, like the proud and elegant city it represents, blends the best of the old South with the new to offer an impeccably perfect, 365,000 sq. ft. state-of-the-art venue for your next convention, meeting or special event. Our gleaming waterfront complex features 100,000 sq. ft. of divisible exhibit space, 50,000 sq. ft. of prime meeting space, including 13 meeting rooms, four executive board rooms, a 25,000 sq. ft. Grand Ballroom, and a high-tech auditorium. All in Savannah, Georgia's First City.
Location: 1 International Drive
Phone: (888) 644-6822
Savannah Visitor's Center
A very useful first stop on arriving in Savannah for first time travelers to the Hostess City should be the Savannah Visitors Center. It is housed in a building that was formerly the Central of Georgia Railroad Station which was the first railroad in Georgia. The station was built in 1860 and is now a National Historic Landmark. There is an abundance of useful information and brochures available at the Visitors Center as well as a slide show which will give an orientation to Savannah.
Location: 301 Martin Luther King Boulevard
Phone: (912) 944-0440
Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport (SAV). Serving the Greater Savannah Region of the Colonial Coast of Georgia and the Low Country of South Carolina. Accepting the challenge of successfully preparing for the future of aviation while experiencing phenomenal growth in the aviation industry.
Location: 400 Airways Avenue
Phone: (912) 964-0514
Savannah's historic River Street is lined with more than 100 unique shops and galleries, fabulous restaurants, seductive nightspots, and elegant inns and hotels. Visitors will fall in love with Savannah and will be anxious to tell their friends about our unique hidden gem of the Southeastern coast. Come and fall in love with the city's hospitality and savor its quirky personality. Our city allows you to experience the history, wonder, elegance and mannerisms of the Old South and the beauty and grace it reveals today.
Location: 404 Bay Street
Phone: (912) 234-0295
The Ships of the Sea Museum is one of Savannah's many tourist attractions. Housed in the original Scarbrough house originally built for William Scarbrough, Savannah's maritime museum features a large collection of shipping artifacts, memorabilia and models (more than 150) ranging in length from a few inches to eight feet. The museum was founded in 1966 to showcase maritime antiquities from the 18th and 19th centuries. Some of the models showcased include the City of Savannah, the Anne, the Steamship Savannah, the Wanderer, and the Titanic.
Location: 41 Martin Luther King Boulevard
Phone: (912) 232-1511
The Sorrel-Weed house is a fine example of the Greek Revival style, this building (completed in 1840 from the plans of Charles B. Cluskey a well-known Georgia architect) shows the distinguished trend of Savannah architecture during the first half of the 19th century. The Mediterranean villa influence reflects the French background of the original owner, Francis Sorrel (1793-1870), a shipping merchant of Savannah who as a child was saved by a faithful slave from the massacre of the white colonists in St. Domingo. The tradition of hospitality associated with the residence was continued after its purchase in 1859 by Henry D. Weed.
Location: 6 West Harris Street
Phone: (912) 236-8888
St. John's Episcopal Church was built in 1841. Designed by Calvin Otis, it is located on the West Side of Madison Square on Bull Street. A ship's mast is located in the center of the church's only spire. The church has the look of a British parish house. It has many stained glass windows showing various scenes from the New Testament. The church, of Gothic-Revival design, was completed in 1853. General William Sherman, during the occupation of Savannah, ordered the chimes be taken down, melted, and made into bullets. The citizens of Savannah wrote a letter to President Lincoln pleading that this not be done. President Lincoln responded by instructing General Sherman to leave the bell.
Location: 1 W. Macon Street
Phone: (912) 232-1251
This building is one of Savannah's outstanding examples of Regency architecture. The main floor and basement kitchens are maintained as a historic house museum. The rotunda and west wing are later additions. It was left by Savannah's outstanding philanthropist, Mary Telfair (1789-1875), relative of William Gibbons, friend of Peter Cooper, last surviving child of Edward Telfair (Revolutionary patriot and early Governor of Georgia) to house the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences which was formed during her life time under her direction.
Location: 121 Barnard Street
Phone: (912) 232-1177
The oldest art museum in the South, the Telfair Museum of Art is an important regional and national resource of the arts, culture, and history. It encompasses two National Historic Landmark buildings, the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences and the Owens-Thomas House, as well as the museum's new building, the Jepson Center for the Arts. Established in 1875, the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences includes the original Telfair Mansion designed by English architect William Jay.
Location: 121 Barnard Street
Phone: (912) 232-1177
Named St. John's Square at its original inception, Telfair Square was later re-named to honor Georgia Governor Edward Telfair as well as the Telfair family property overlooking this square. Today, the Telfair Museum complex is a major point of interest that dominates this square. This is one of the few historic district squares to officially have its name changed (change took place in 1833) after the original name was initiated.
This square was laid out in 1851. It was named for George Michael Troup, Congressional Representative, Governor, and Senator. There was only one other square, Washington Square, named for a person who was alive when so honored. On the West side of the square there are the high stoop McDonough Row Houses, built in 1882 that were the object of one of the first historic restoration efforts in the 1960s when federal funds became available for historic preservation activities.
When first laid out, Trustees Garden consisted of ten acres. It was established by General Oglethorpe within one month of initiating the settlement of Georgia. Botanists were sent by the Trustees of the Colony from England far a field to the West Indies and South America to procure plants for this "experimental" garden. Vine cuttings, flax, hemp, potashes, indigo, cochineal, olives, and medicinal herbs were grown. The greatest hope was that mulberry trees could be established in the newest American colony, essential in creating a viable silk based economy.
Location: Corner of E. Bay St. and Broad St.
Owned and operated by Savannah College of Art and Design, The Trustees Theatre serves students and Savannah visitors alike. Designed by Howell and Tucker as the Weis Theater, this Art Moderne building features streamlined interior walls and conical columns concealing dramatic recessed lighting. The state-of-the-art theater seats 1,100 patrons, operates year-round as a large venue for the media and performing arts department, among others, and offers lectures, live performances and films. Trustees Theater is the headquarters for the Savannah Film Festival.
Location: 216 E. Broughton Street
United States Customs House
The U. S. Customs House stands close to the south corner of Bull St. and Bay St. In a house on this site, two earlier Savannah citizens, founding father James Oglethorpe and founder of the Methodist Church, John Wesley, lived for a time. In the mid 1800's, a much larger and grander construction project replaced the original Oglethorpe home that stood here. The original corner stone of the Customs House was laid in 1848. The building was completed in 1852 at a cost of $146,000.
Location: 1 - 3 E. Bay Street
Warren Square, originally laid out in 1791, was named for General Joseph Warren, President of the Third Provincial Congress. General Warren was later killed in the 1775 Battle of Bunker Hill. Between both Warren Square and Washington Square lying due east, architectural buffs and historic townhouse sightseers will find some of the oldest homes in the historic district along East St. Julian Street.
Considered by many to be Savannah's most beautiful garden square, with slate walkways bordered with indigenous shrubs and a colorful array of flowering plants underneath moss draped oaks in the spring of the year, Washington Square hosts many outside weddings, occasionally the bride to be being delivered to this well appointed square by horse drawn carriage.
Waving Girl Statue
The Waving Girl statue is a popular monument for visitors to the River Street area of Savannah, Georgia's historic district. The statue immortalizes a Savannahian named Florence Martus, who lived near the entrance to Savannah Harbor on nearby Elba Island with her brother, the lighthouse keeper. Florence reportedly waved to each ship that came and went -- for 44 years! Throughout the years, the vessels in return watched for and saluted this quiet little woman.
Wesley Monumental United Methodist Church was built as a memorial to John and Charles Wesley, founders of the Methodist movement, through national fund raising. Rocky from the early beginnings in 1868, the church was not dedicated until 1890, because of reconstruction money woes and a yellow fever epidemic.
Location: 429 Abercorn Street
Phone: (912) 232-0191
Whitfield Square is the eastern most square on the last line of squares in the back of the historic district. Whitfield Square is known locally as the "marrying square" due to countless weddings over the years that have been performed under the white Cupola located in the center of the square. This square was laid out in 1851 and named for George Whitefield, an early Savannah minister who preached in Colonial Savannah.
This Square, which was laid out in 1733, was originally named for John Percival, Earl of Egmont, who played a large part in founding the colony of Georgia. Its name was changed around 1763 to Wright Square in honor of James Wright, royal governor of the province of Georgia. In 1739 Tomo-Chi-Chi, the Chief of the Yamacraw Indians was buried with ceremony in the center of this Square, Gen. Oglethorpe acting as one of the pallbearers.