Armstrong Mansion
In the spring of 1935, Savannah Mayor Thomas Gamble began to promote the establishment of a junior college in Savannah to serve the young people of the community who could not afford the cost of higher education away from home. Despite the stringent circumstances of the Depression, Gamble was convinced that a city-supported junior college would benefit not only Savannah's youth but Savannah's business activity and the Savannah community at large. Interest in the college project grew, but the idea needed a home. On May 27, 1935, Gamble announced that the new junior college would take its residence in the magnificent gray brick mansion of the late George Ferguson Armstrong, a successful Savannah shipping businessman, whose widow, Lucy Camp Armstrong Moltz, and daughter, Lucy Armstrong Johnson, agreed to give their former home to the city to fulfill the mayor's proposal.

Located on the southern edge of Savannah's historic district, the Armstrong mansion was the last of the great homes that had been built in the downtown area. It stood at the head of Bull Street, between the historic squares of downtown Savannah to the north and the green expanse of Forsyth Park to the south. The imposing Armstrong mansion and the surrounding neighborhood provided the new junior college with its distinctive character for the next thirty years. Early patrons of the college's growth included Savannah banker Mills Bee Lane and his wife Mary Comer Lane, and Savannah newspaper owner and publisher Herschel V. Jenkins. Today, this fine mansion houses a Savannah based law firm. This impressive structure is recognizable as the law office exterior shots from the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil".

Location:
Corner of Bull and Gaston St.