Whitefield Square
Whitefield Square is the eastern most square on the last line of squares in the back of the historic district. Whitefield Square is known locally as the "marrying square" due to countless weddings over the years that have been performed under the white Cupola located in the center of the square. This square was laid out in 1851 and named for George Whitefield, an early Savannah minister who preached in Colonial Savannah. He was a friend to John Wesley (founder of Methodism) and went on to found Bethesda Home for Boys in 1740. The homes around Whitefield Square, the last of the historic district squares to be laid, are reflective of the Victorian era wood facade two and three story homes that stretch back to outside of the Landmark historic district to Victory Drive.