The Trustees Garden
When first laid out, Trustees Garden consisted of ten acres. It was established by General Oglethorpe within one month of initiating the settlement of Georgia. Botanists were sent by the Trustees of the Colony from England far a field to the West Indies and South America to procure plants for this "experimental" garden. Vine cuttings, flax, hemp, potashes, indigo, cochineal, olives, and medicinal herbs were grown. The greatest hope was that mulberry trees could be established in the newest American colony, essential in creating a viable silk based economy. In the early days of the Colony, Queen Caroline was clothed in Georgia silk, and the town's largest structure was the filature.

Unfortunately, the silk and wine industries failed to ever materialize to any great extent. Due to the distant sponsor's inability to overcome time and geography of that era, misjudgments were made regarding the essential importance of allowing the experiments conducted on the various plants in creating the important agrarian based economic conditions to sustain the fledging coastal Georgia economy. In 1755 the site was developed as a residential section.

Fortunately for the colony, before America's first documented agricultural experimental garden was abandoned all together, a viable cotton crop was first developed prior to shutting down the experiment. And from this hopeful beginning, this upland cotton plant was disseminated throughout the low country and beyond which later comprised the greater part of the world's cotton commerce. Cotton was not the only cash crop of that era. Both the State of Georgia and South Carolina owe their booming Peach economies today to the first propagated peach trees that originated at Trustees Garden that eventually became a main stay of farming communities across these two states.