City Market

The face of Savannah's historic City Market has seen many changes over the years. It all began in 1755, when farmers and fishermen brought to market such wares as scuppernongs, pigeon peas and fresh seafood of every description. The first two Market buildings were destroyed by fire in 1788 and 1820. A third was torn down after being used as a dressing station during the Siege of Savannah in the Civil War.

Part of the Savannah City Market was formerly known as Ellis Square which was the original site of the Old City Market. Space was at a premium in the 1950's and developers removed the market and built a parking lot amid much outcry with the preservationists. The very active historic preservation forces in Savannah tried to stop one of their cities beloved squares from being demolished, but they eventually lost the battle. However, the preservationists were not completely unsuccessful. They were able to save the remainder of the four block area and ensure that the character of the eighteenth century lives on in the many restaurants, shops and night life areas with events held throughout the year. And so today, the Market is thriving once again. People come to meet, to do business and to talk of the day's events. It is once again a social and commercial center of Savannah. And yes, there are still horse-drawn carriages.

Location:
West St. Julian at Jefferson St.

Phone:
(912) 232 - 4903

 








 

Virtual Tour created by QuantumTour.com



 

http://www.savannahcitymarket.com