Ellis Square
Laid out in 1733 and named for Henry Ellis, who became the second royal governor of Georgia in 1758. The original square was replaced by a parking deck in 1954 after much resistance that lead to the formation of the Historic Savannah Foundation, an important steering committee that oversees all historic district renovations for period correct construction. The 50 year lease of the parking lot expired in 2004 and plans to reincarnate Ellis Square are to be completed once the parking garage is torn down and replaced with much needed underground parking for the many tourists and business travelers that visit The Hostess City in ever growing numbers from year to year.