United States Customs House

The U. S. Customs House stands close to the south corner of Bull St. and Bay St. In a house on this site, two earlier Savannah citizens of disparate backgrounds founding father James Oglethorpe and founder of the Methodist Church, John Wesley, lived for a time. John Wesley preached his first sermon at Savannah in a building which stood on the rear of the lot.

In the mid 1800's, a much larger and grander construction project replaced the original Oglethorpe home that stood here. The original corner stone of the Customs House was laid in 1848. The building was completed in 1852 at a cost of $146,000. Built of granite from Quincy, Mass., the structure is one of the most handsome and substantial public buildings erected in that era.

Location:
1 - 3 East Bay St.