Johnson Square
Citizens of Savannah have come to refer to Johnson Square as the "banking square", due to the many regional and national banks that surround this square, making it a major bustling destination for historic district businesses. This square is named for Governor Robert Johnson of South Carolina who befriended the colonists when Georgia was first settled. It was laid out by Gen. Oglethorpe and by Colonel William Bull in 1733, and was the very first of Savannah's squares. In early colonial days the public stores, the house for strangers, the church, and the public bake oven stood on the trustee lots around it.

Events of historical interest are associated with Johnson Square. Here in 1735, Chekilli, head Chief of the Creek Nation, recited the origin myth of the Creeks. In 1737, the Rev. John Wesley, after futile efforts to bring to trial certain indictments against him growing out of his ministry at Savannah, posted a public notice in this square that he intended to return to England. The Declaration of Independence was read here to an enthusiastic audience, August 10, 1776.

In 1819, a ball was given for President James Monroe in a pavilion erected in the square. Eminent men who have spoken here include the Marquis de Lafayette, (1825); Henry Clay 1847); and Daniel Webster (1848). Beneath the Nathanial Greene monument rest the remains of the famous Revolutionary general and his son.