Telfair Family Mansion

This building is one of Savannah's outstanding examples of Regency architecture. The main floor and basement kitchens are maintained as a historic house museum. The rotunda and west wing are later additions. It was left by Savannah's outstanding philanthropist, Mary Telfair (1789-1875), relative of William Gibbons, friend of Peter Cooper, last surviving child of Edward Telfair (Revolutionary patriot and early Governor of Georgia) to house the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences which was formed during her life time under her direction. Notable among her other public bequests are the Telfair Hospital, the interiors of the Independent Presbyterian Church, and (with her sister) Hodgson Hall. In the Colonial and Revolutionary periods "Government House", the residence of the Royal Governors of Georgia, stood on this site. Future plans include the Jepson Center for the Arts that is currently under construction in an adjacent building.

Location:
121 Barnard St.

Phone:
(912) 232 - 1177

 

http://www.telfair.org