Elbert Square
Elbert Square was laid out in 1801 and named for General Samuel Elbert who went on to become a member of the Provincial Congress of 1775. General Elbert was also the governor of Georgia. Elbert Square like a few of the other western historic district quadrant squares had to make way for progress (widening of Montgomery St.) and today is not much more than an abbreviated grassy section on the western edge of Montgomery St.