Owens-Thomas House

The Telfair Owens - Thomas House was designed by architect William Jay at the young age of 24. The stylish residence was built from 1816 to 1819 for cotton merchant Richard Richardson and his wife Francis Bolton, the sister-in-law of William Jay. Unfortunately the Richardson's soon lost their house in the financial depression of 1820.

During the next decade the House served as an elegant boarding house. In 1825 the Revolutionary War hero, the Marquis de Lafayette, was a guest at this fine home. According to Savannah's oral tradition, the celebrated Frenchman delivered his two Savannah addresses to thousands of adoring citizens from the ornate cast iron balcony on the south side of the house.

In 1830, George Welchman Owens, congressman, lawyer, and one-time mayor of Savannah, purchased the House from the Bank of the United States for $10,000. The property remained in the Owens family until 1951 when Owens' granddaughter Margaret Thomas bequeathed it to the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences, now the Telfair Museum of Art.

Location:
124 Abercorn St.

Phone:
(912) 233 - 9743