Juliette Gordon Low House/James Moore Wayne House

Juliette Gordon Low, founder of the Girl Scouts of the United States of America, was born in this house in 1860. It was her girlhood home until her marriage there in 1886 to William Low, an Englishman, then residing in Savannah. As a friend of Lord Baden-Powell, founder of the Scout movement, Juliette Low became active in Girl Guide work in both England and Scotland in 1911. It was at his suggestion that she started Girl Scouting in America.

It was not until 1912, at the Louisa Porter Home in this city that Mrs. Low founded the first Girl Guide troop in the United States. Her niece, Daisy Gordon, of Savannah, was the first member enrolled. Through Mrs. Low's energetic and determined leadership the movement spread rapidly under the name "Girl Scouts of America." Mrs. Low died in Savannah in 1927. In 1953 her birthplace was acquired by the Girl Scouts of the United States of America, and funds for its restoration were raised by the 2,500,000 members. The property is now maintained by the Girl Scouts as a memorial to their founder and as a center of activities for all Girl Scouts. Many Girl Scout Troops throughout the USA make the pilgrimage to the birth place of their scouting organization every year.

The Gordon House, was completed in 1821 and is a fine example of Regency architecture, it was designed by the eminent architect William Jay. The third story and side porch were later added. The house was originally owned by James M. Wayne, one of Georgia's most illustrious public men. After service as Mayor of Savannah, judge of the Eastern Circuit, and as Congressman, he was appointed to the Supreme Court of the United States by President Jackson in 1835. An able and courageous jurist, Wayne served on the highest court with distinction until his death in 1867 at Washington.

Though devoted to his native State, Judge Wayne was a strong Unionist. Opposing Secession, he remained on the Supreme Court after Georgia left the Union, a decision sharply contrasting with that of his son, Henry C. Wayne, who resigned his commission in the U.S. Army in 1860 on the approach of War to serve Georgia as Adjutant General. The Wayne residence was purchased in 1831 by another distinguished Savannahian, William Washington Gordon (1796-1842), organizer and first President of the Central of Georgia Railroad.

Location:
142 Bull St.

Phone:
(912) 233 - 4501

 

http://andrewlowhouse.com