Chippewa Square

Chippewa Square was so named to honor the distant Canadian battlefield where Americans fought against the British in 1814 during the War of 1812. A handsome bronze figure by Daniel Chester French, the sculptor of the Lincoln Memorial, immortalizes General James Edward Oglethorpe, who looms over the square. Fast forward to contemporary times and movie fans can vouch that Savannah's historic district has hosted an abundance of well known movies over the years, some of which went on to win academy awards. In keeping with high quality movie production on location needs with the prerequisite back drop, Chippewa Square is where Forrest Gump's bench was placed, at Bull and Hull streets, during the filming of that popular movie. Two blocks north of the square is Independent Presbyterian Church, which was founded in 1755. The current church is an 1891 replica of the 1819 church, and is considered a notable example of American church architecture. Woodrow Wilson married Ellen Axon in a room in the manse in 1885.

Nineteenth century novelist William Alexander Caruthers has a historical marker in this square. One block west of this marker - at the northwest corner of Hull and Whitaker Streets - stood, formerly, the residence of Caruthers, Virginia's earliest significant novelist. He resided in Savannah for several years before his death in 1846. Dr. Caruthers who married Louisa Catherine Gibson of Chatham County's Whitemarsh Island moved in 1837 to this city where he practiced medicine. A renaissance man of his day, he took a prominent part in affairs in Savannah as a realtor; was one of the founders of the Georgia Historical Society and while an Alderman, 1841-1844, was instrumental in giving Savannahians direct election of their Mayors.