St. John's Episcopal Church

St. John's Episcopal Church was built in 1841. Designed by Calvin Otis, it is located on the West Side of Madison Square on Bull Street.

Otis traveled from Buffalo, New York, to work on this church. A ship's mast is located in the center of the church's only spire. The church has the look of a British parish house. It has many stained glass windows showing various scenes from the New Testament.

The church, of Gothic-Revival design, was completed in 1853. General William Sherman, during the occupation of Savannah, ordered the chimes be taken down, melted, and made into bullets. The citizens of Savannah wrote a letter to President Lincoln pleading that this not be done. President Lincoln responded by instructing General Sherman to leave the bell.

Location:
1 West Macon St.

Phone:
(912) 232 - 1251

 

http://www.stjohnssav.org