Madison Square
Madison Square was laid out in 1839 and is named for the fourth president of the United States. Around the Square stand notable examples of the Greek revival, Gothic, and Romanesque architecture characteristic of nineteenth century Savannah. Lying to the west are St. John's Church (Episcopal), 1853, and the Green-Meldrim mansion, 1861, (Gen. W. T. Sherman's headquarters). To the north is the Francis Sorrel Residence, 1840, which was visited by Gen. Robert E. Lee in 1862 when he commanded the Confederate coastal defenses in this area. To the east is the Jewett house, erected 1842. The DeSoto Hilton was built in the 1960's after the original Desoto Hotel was torn down. The Savannah Volunteer Guards' Armory of a later period, are, like the original DeSoto in the Romanesque style typical of their designer William G. Preston, of Boston.

The central bronze monument in the center of Madison Square commemorates the heroism of Sergeant William Jasper (2nd Continental Regt. of South Carolina) who was mortally wounded, October 9, 1779, a short distance northwest of this marker (noted in section 4 - 6 on the points of interest map), in the unsuccessful assault by the American and French forces upon the British lines, which ran immediately to the north of this Square.