Cathedral of St. John The Baptist

Savannah is Georgia's oldest cathedral city, and its beautiful Cathedral epitomizes the centuries long history of Catholics dating back to colonial times in the "Peach State". The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is the seat of the Diocese of Savannah, which at one time embraced the whole state of Georgia and now takes in 90 counties in the southern half of the state and includes approximately 75,000 Catholics. It derives its name from a small group of Catholics calling themselves the "Congregation of St. John the Baptist" during colonial times in Savannah.

The history of this Historic cathedral with her towering dual steeples (clearly visible from many quadrants within the historic district) could fill a book and we will not attempt to do justice to this historic church in such a limited space found here. Rather we recommend that church architecture aficionados view the inner sanctum while visiting the historic district as it is typically open until noon seven days a week. The existing church today was designed and built by Francis Baldwin circa 1873 and dedicated in 1876. It is a fine example of the French-Gothic architectural design for churches. However, the original cathedral was destroyed by fire in 1898. It was reconstructed based on the original design and built within the original walls. Recent renovation was completed of these two steeples in 2004 after several years of intensive work.

Location:
222 E. Harris St.

Savannah Wedding Videography from Mitchell Powers on Vimeo.

Phone:
(912) 233 - 4709



 

 

http://savannahcathedral.org