Andrew Low House

Built in 1848 for cotton merchant Andrew Low. The classically designed Andrew Low House sits on the southwest trust lot on Lafayette Square, former site of the old jail. In 1847, the wealthy cotton factor Andrew Low chose John Norris to design a house on the lot for his family. Norris was an architect whom the historic Savannah's leading citizens turned to for the design of their residences and business establishments. Architects William Jay, Charles B. Cluskey, and Norris formed a triumvirate of distinguished architects that designed the magnificent homes for well to do 19th century Savannahians that tourists from all over the world come to visit today.

Savannah with only 14,000 inhabitants was a prosperous coastal Georgia community when Andrew Low moved into his grand new home in 1849. These pre-Civil War years proved to be very prosperous for Low and his fellow cotton factors as the ships of A. Low & Co. plied the ocean routes between Savannah and Liverpool, England loaded with bales of cotton worth millions of dollars. Juliette Gordon, daughter of a wealthy railroad President herself who was born just a few blocks from this home, married William Low, the son of Andrew low. Of course we know Juliette today as Juliette Gordon Low, the founder of the Girl Scouts of America.

Location:
329 Abercorn St.

Phone:
(912) 233 - 6854

 

http://andrewlowhouse.com