Lafayette Square
Lafayette square, located on Abercorn Street between Charlton and Harris Streets was laid out in 1837. Until 1846, the City jail was located here; but when it was moved, Andrew Low purchased some of the land and built in 1849 what we now refer to as the Andrew Low House. This house, on the West side of the square, is next to the Battersby-Hartridge House, the only Charleston style house in the City. The Hamilton Turner House is also on this square as is the Flannery O'Connor House. This home is where the renowned Georgia author lived as a child. It is open to the public.

On the North side of the square is the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist and its school buildings. A well done renovation of three side by side four story buildings face the square from the southeast corner which houses the Suites on Lafayette, self catered accommodations that serve as alternative lodgings to Bed and Breakfast Inns in the historic district.

Lafayette Square was named after the Marquis de Lafayette, George Washington's aide in colonial America's war for independence. The Marquis visited Savannah in 1825 and spoke to the cheering crowd from the balcony of the previously mentioned Owens - Thomas house located on the square.